Are you looking for a crowd-pleasing snack that’s easy to make and bursting with flavor? Look no further than these Homemade Pimento Cheese Puff Pastry Twists! Whether you’re hosting a game day gathering or celebrating the Kentucky Derby, these savory twists will surely be a hit with your guests. Plus, they’re simple to whip up, even if you’re not a seasoned chef.
Mise En Place
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s prep our ingredients. You’ll need:
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (thawed according to package instructions)
- 3/4 cup of pimento cheese (store- bought or homemade)
- 1 small jalapeño, diced
- 1 egg plus 1 teaspoon of water (for the egg wash), whisked together
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Optional Topping: Everything Bagel Seasoning
Now that we have everything we need, let’s get started!
Step 1: Prepare Puff Pastry and Spread on Pimento Cheese
Be sure to thaw your puff pastry according to the instructions on the package. Most will suggest thawing on the counter for at least 40 minutes or microwaving quickly. Using a rolling pin, gently flatten out the creases in the puff pastry.
Spread a thin layer of the pimento cheese onto half of the puff pastry sheet, ensuring it’s evenly distributed. Top with your desired amount of diced jalapeños.
Once your puff pastry is covered in delicious pimento cheese, it’s time to fold it up! Starting from one of the short edges, carefully fold the pastry over. Once folded, gently press the seams together.
Step 2: Slice and Twist
Next, slice the pastry into 10 or 12 strips using a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
Now comes the fun part – twisting! Take each strip and gently twist it a few times to create a spiral shape. Place the twisted strips onto the lined baking sheet, leaving some space between each one.
Step 3: Egg Wash
To give your puff pastry twists that beautiful golden color when baked, give them a quick egg wash. In a small bowl, beat an egg and then brush it over the tops of the twists using a pastry brush. This step not only adds color but also helps to create a shiny finish.
Step 4: Bake to Perfection
Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Once preheated, pop the baking sheet into the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the twists are puffed up and golden brown. Keep an eye on them towards the end to prevent any burning.
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy!
Once your pimento cheese puff pastry twists are beautifully baked and golden brown, let them cool completely and it’s time to serve them up! Arrange them on a platter and watch as your guests dive in eagerly. These twists are perfect for snacking on during game day or for adding a touch of Southern charm to your Kentucky Derby festivities.
- Get creative with your topping! Add extra crunch on top by sprinkling on everything but the bagel seasoning or flaky sea salt.
- Want to make these twists ahead of time? You can prepare them up to the twisting stage and refrigerate them until you’re ready to bake. Just give them a quick egg wash before popping them in the oven.
- Let them cool to room temperature: This will ensure the finished pastries are sturdy and easy to eat.
All in All
These Twists Are Perfect for Your Party!
Whether you’re hosting a casual game day get-together or throwing a fancy Kentucky Derby soiree, these Homemade Pimento Cheese Puff Pastry Twists are the ultimate party pleaser. They’re easy to make, bursting with flavor, and guaranteed to disappear quickly. Plus, they’re portable and mess-free, making them the ideal finger food for any occasion.
So why not add a taste of the South to your next gathering with these delicious twists? Your guests will thank you, and you’ll earn a reputation as the ultimate party host!
Other Party-Pleasing Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
Pimento Cheese Puff Pastry Twists
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed according to package instructions
- 3/4 cup pimento cheese store- bought or homemade
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 egg for the egg wash, whisked together with one teaspon of water
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- Using a rolling pin, gently flatten out the creases in the puff pastry.
- Spread the pimento cheese into a thin layer on half of the puff pastry sheet, ensuring it’s evenly distributed. Top with the diced jalapenos.
- Starting from one of the short edges, carefully fold the pastry over. Once folded, gently press the seams together.
- Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to slice the pastry into 10 or 12 strips.
- Take each strip and gently twist it a few times to create a spiral shape. Place the twisted strips onto the lined baking sheet, leaving some space between each one.
- In a small bowl, beat an egg and then brush it over the tops of the twists using a pastry brush. If desired, sprinkle bagel seasoning onto each twist for added crunch.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the twists are puffed up and golden brown. Keep an eye on them towards the end to prevent any burning.
- Remove and let cool completely before serving.