Whipped feta has, by far, been my favorite dish of the summer. The blend of salty feta cheese and fresh herbs from my garden was soul-satisfying! This recipe is my lemony and herb filled version. It’s simple to make and takes little time to prepare.
Uses for Whipped Feta Spread
This spread was a great way of leveling up my morning toast. I found myself spreading it on toasted bread and then topping with fresh heirloom tomatoes. I also topped made a toast combo of whipped feta, scrambled eggs, and diced tomatoes.
Mise En Place
- 1 8 oz Block of Feta Cheese
- 4 ounces of Cream Cheese – Bring to Room Temperature
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Chopped Herbs
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Lemony Whipped Feta Spread
I started by pulsing feta cheese chunks in the food processor with the metal blade attachment. I pulsed 8-10 times until the feta resembled small, coarse crumbles.
Next, I added in the softened cream cheese, olive oil, and lemon juice. I pureed the ingredients for about 3-4 minutes until blended and creamy. About half way through, I turned off the processor to scrape down the sides of the bowl. I also had a small taste to gauge how much seasoning to add since feta is naturally pretty salty.
Lastly, I added in chopped herbs and my desired amount of salt and pepper.
I pureed for about 1 one additional minute and then served along side crackers. I also garnished with a sprig of basil and freshly cracked pepper.
- I found it easier and quicker to blend the cheeses when the cream cheese was at room temperature.
- If you feel your mixture is too thick, add a few teaspoons more of olive oil and blend.
- If you refrigerate the leftovers, the mixture will solidify slightly. It helps to let the leftovers come back to room temp and then whisk for a few minutes.
- The spread kept well in an air-tight container for about three days.
All in All
This is a versatile spread that is perfect for topping buttery crackers to dressing up toast. I love that I have a new recipe to incorporate the herbs and vegetables that I am growing in my own backyard. I hope you try this recipe out and enjoy it as much as I have all summer.
What kinds of dishes would you use this lemony whipped feta for?
Other dip/spread recipes you will enjoy:
Baked Spinach, Artichoke and Feta Dip – CLICK HERE
Herbed Ricotta Spread – CLICK HERE
Roasted Tomato Salsa – CLICK HERE
Lemony Whipped Feta Dip
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese Room Temperature
- 8 Ounces Feta Cheese Block broken into chunks
- 2 Teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Teaspoons Chopped Fresh Herbs I used chives, parsley and basil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a food processor with, pulse feta cheese chunks 8-10 times until it resembles small, coarse crumbles.
- Add in cream cheese, olive oil and lemon juice. Puree for about 3-4 minutes until blended and creamy. Scrape down sides if needed. Add in chopped herbs and desired amount of salt and pepper. Puree for 1 more minute.
- Transfer dip into a bowl and garnish with fresh cracked pepper and springs of herbs. Serve with chopped vegetables, pretzels, crackers, etc.